International House of Pancake Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
International House of Pancake Racing

Welcome to the International House of Pancake Racing (IHOPR). Here you will find the best of the best when it comes to racing old school pancake armature slot cars. All the way from the vibrator cars of the early 1960's to the re-release of the Ultra-G

3 posters

3R Fairground Hobby Stock Class

Fast Petey
    Fast Petey
    Admin

3R Fairground Hobby Stock Class Empty 3R Fairground Hobby Stock Class

Post  Fast Petey Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:46 pm

For about 2 years now I have been trying to get this ball rolling, and it looks like tomorrow will be the day that I finally do. The track I'm currently building was designed and built specifically for this car class, so there has been a lot of investment in both time and money involved, and I've only scratched the surface.

The class involves the use of T-Jets using the Road Race Replica's Fairgrounds cars in two classes, based on performance. The first class that will be built on is the Hobby Stock Class, what will be the entry level and least expensive of the two. I grew up around a race track in the San Antonio, Texas area called Pan American Speedway, from the age of 7 until my late teens I was an avid race fan and regular attendee. For many years my oval slot car tracks were named in honor of PAS, but when I built Sequoia Speedway I broke from that tradition. Google Earth shows that very little remains of my old home track which closed in 1980, urban sprawl and an industrial center have all but erased it from the south Texas countryside, for me it was time to put the Pan American name to rest.

The Hobby Stock Class will use the earlier body styles, the '55 and '57 Chevy's, the '57 Ford and '58 T-Bird. The '62 Falcon will be used in the Super Stock Class once it's introduced. Requirements for the class will be a stock OEM chassis, not the Ultra G, which is the chassis for the Super Stockers. Required are 3R wheels and non-white letter tires. Wheel styles must be either the slots or the steel wheel style, colors are up to the car owner. The only motor modifications allowed are the shimming of the magnets to reduce armature clearance, changes in motor brushes and springs, aftermarket guide pins, shoes and shoe springs and axle gear change. The Road Race Replica body cannot be modified in any way except to effect tire clearance, no lowering, raking or removing of material to lighten the bodies. No car may have any added weight applied to it. You may as an option use the low profile 3R front tires but there will be a minimum chassis/track clearance.

Decals and paint are up to the drivers preference with the exception of using any real world pattern, such as making a Dale Earnhardt car, etc. Sponsors are recommended to be from the late 1970's though the mid 1980's. Remember, this is depicted to be a mid-Texas short track of that time period.

Car costs are estimated to be about $40 each, including decals. Two weeks ago I ordered $100 worth of decals from Patto's and 3R, those will be made available free to those building cars on a first come, first served basis. Tomorrow materials to complete 7 cars will be ordered, we have 5 drivers and 2 proxy cars to build, this will give us enough to run a minimal program, and plans are to add two cars a month over the next six months, we want to have 18 cars running by March, 2011 for our Spring Series. I am still trying to sell an r/c car in order to raise the cash to complete the track's landscaping and maybe order another car or two, otherwise things will progress much slower than I'd like but we'll get it all done.

Pics of the completed cars will be posts as soon as they become available, I'm thinking in about 3 weeks. Look for them here first.
    Y-Axis Racer
    Y-Axis Racer
    Fence Climber

3R Fairground Hobby Stock Class Empty I won the argument.

Post  Y-Axis Racer Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 pm

In addition to the Road Race Replica's '55 and '57 Chevy's, '57 Ford and '58 T-Bird we are also going to allow the DASH '55 Chevy hardtop. This is to support our comrade Tom and his wonderful product line. As a matter of fact, my car (which I have already ordered parts for through JAG Hobbies) will be a red and white '55 Chevy instead of the black '57 I originally intended to run from 3R. This frees up another car for someone to come and run with our program, giving us 10 total.

I'm not sure of the sponsor yet, but it could wind up being Tom's Auto Sales, or Tom's Service Center, and I'm having to rethink the number. Also, once the 3R cars get here if there is a noticeable difference in height there will be allowances made to lower the DASH body to stay competitive with the purpose built resin cars from 3R. Wheel well radius-ing will be allowed as well to get it over the required wheel and tire set.
    Larry Lype Motorsports
    Larry Lype Motorsports
    Cheap Seats

3R Fairground Hobby Stock Class Empty Re: 3R Fairground Hobby Stock Class

Post  Larry Lype Motorsports Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi Y Axis
    I wish I lived closer, as I have several RRR T Jet fairground cars that should "fit" the rules. All mine are "box stock" as far as the chassis goes, and hopefully I can make the "A" main thru the consi. Very Happy I cant wait to see the cool cars you and "Fast Petey" build up.

Larry
    Fast Petey
    Fast Petey
    Admin

Post  Fast Petey Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:01 pm

We're actually building proxy cars, Larry, Paul (PD2) is getting his built because he sponsored a sprint car a couple of years ago and was supposed to get it when the season ended. Something happened and it was never shipped, so we're doing his car gratis. The other obligated proxy belongs to my pal Scott Green who got me back into racing out here in California in 1983, racing A/FX cars that eventually developed into the sprint cars. If not for him my vacuum forming business would have never been. I don't know how you would feel about either sponsoring a car for just the cost of materials to build one, or to send yours out here, but if you can wait until next spring I'll have one already built that you can sponsor. I'm still desperately trying to sell my r/c rock crawler to finish things up quicker, no takers so far however.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:40 am