International House of Pancake Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
International House of Pancake Racing

Welcome to the International House of Pancake Racing (IHOPR). Here you will find the best of the best when it comes to racing old school pancake armature slot cars. All the way from the vibrator cars of the early 1960's to the re-release of the Ultra-G

4 posters

Epic balsa wood grandstand

Fast Petey
    Fast Petey
    Admin

Epic balsa wood grandstand Empty Epic balsa wood grandstand

Post  Fast Petey Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:56 pm

This week I started working on the track again with the cooler weather, and hacking at balsa wood until I can get to the hobby shop to get some plastic stuff.

I did some K-Barrier in wood, sealed it and painted it yellow and white in scale 12' sections. The boundary of the pits is enclosed with that barrier now and I have a few extra for the infield emergency vehicles to hide behind.

The big project the last 3 days has been what was intended to be the back stretch grandstands, press box and VIP seating. The problem is I was operating by my old diagrams measurement since my track was in another location, once I took the partially completed grandstands over, well, it was 1/2" too deep. Sad

Instead of trashing it I decided to just go ahead and finish it. Here's how it looks so far, remember this is 100% balsa wood at this point, unfinished and unpainted, it will be either gloss white or the same light beige that the existing plastic grandstand on the layout is.

Epic balsa wood grandstand 61793_1364155315963_1594028630_839272_3705984_n

The piece is 24" long, 4" deep and currently 3" high. The structure in the center is a small press box with an access door and the VIP section above with angled glass area. There will be windows on either side of the door on the lower press box and the full length window in the VIP section above. Once completely painted those windows will be simulated using gloss black contact paper. Other windows will also be simulated the same way. All the windows will be framed.

Epic balsa wood grandstand 61793_1364155355964_1594028630_839273_4067445_n

Here is a true HO (1/87th scale) figure for scale. At 3" high it's a scale 21' high, not enormous by any standards but for a small fairground track plenty high. The VIP section is about 7 1/2' total in interior height, slightly out of scale but not exceedingly so. Scale length is 174' long, depth is almost 22'. Seating capacity could be close to 300 on a good night.

Epic balsa wood grandstand 61952_1364157116008_1594028630_839275_5825105_n

The back has a small "smokers" balcony with 2 doors leading out from the VIP box. There will be a really nice photo etched metal fire escape down from this balcony when it's done. There will be plastic railing around the balcony and safety cage ladders leading to the roof, which will also be railed. The roof can be used for spotters, camera crew or just to watch the race. I will probably do a couple of windows on the back of the box as well.

I haven't decided where the bathrooms will be located on this piece, but entrances will be represented by simple doors. This piece is hollow but it does have a sealed bottom. Not sure what I'm going to do with it since it won't fit on my track but it will be finished.
    Dave
    Dave
    Admin

Epic balsa wood grandstand Empty Re: Epic balsa wood grandstand

Post  Dave Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:25 am

That's really something. I'm a little surprised that a big guy like you could do such delicate work. I can't touch balsa or I'll break it.
    Fast Petey
    Fast Petey
    Admin

Post  Fast Petey Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:14 am

This is 3/16" thick so it's a bit more sturdy than you'd think. It will dent if you hit it with anything but once painted that will give the surface a bit more toughness. I'm going to hit it with sanding sealer today and finish up the fine sanding, then another coat and probably paint it tomorrow. It'll be a week or so before the railings arrive, then it should be finished.
    kiwidave
    kiwidave
    Cheap Seats

Post  kiwidave Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Very cool Pete!!

Epic balsa wood grandstand Empty Update on Fast Petey Grandstands

Post  Guest Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:55 am

After Three Palms Speedway's issues with zoning, Fast Petey found a new home on the east coast in North Carolina for these awesome grandstands.
    They are now the Main Grandstand & Tower serving the Grand Prix on the Cape Fear on the AFX 4-lane 49' "DRAGON". I still have other work in progress involving these grandstands and will post pictures displaying the total package.

Again thanks Pete,
    Ovalhead & the Dragon
    Dave
    Dave
    Admin

Post  Dave Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Welcome to the club Ovalhead! That Dragon sounds like a great track to run on!
    Fast Petey
    Fast Petey
    Admin

Post  Fast Petey Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:14 pm

No problem Ovalhead, glad they worked out well in your facility. I'm in the middle of a harvest right now, rolling up my raisins and shaking walnuts, as soon as that's all done I'll be getting back to working on my own track more and making stuff for others.

Post  Guest Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks Dave, I like what y'all have here, thanks for the membership. Looking forward to relearning my first class of cars in HO. I'm sure I'll learn & recall many good memories. I was blessed to run the Aurora Pancakes between 1966-1973. This is the time period this addiction started. Rehab just don't work in HO !

Ovalhead
    Cool

Post  Guest Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:30 pm

There you are Fast Petey, walnuts, raisins & pancakes ? You are a racer of all trades it seems, I hope your ready for Thanksgiving. Smile

Thanks a million,
    Ovalhead
    Dave
    Dave
    Admin

Post  Dave Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Ovalhead wrote:Thanks Dave, I like what y'all have here, thanks for the membership. Looking forward to relearning my first class of cars in HO. I'm sure I'll learn & recall many good memories. I was blessed to run the Aurora Pancakes between 1966-1973. This is the time period this addiction started. Rehab just don't work in HO !

Ovalhead
    Cool

Your very welcome! I'm re-learning a lot. Pete is really the brains around here.
    Fast Petey
    Fast Petey
    Admin

Post  Fast Petey Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:10 pm

I thought I was the good looking one. Damn.

9 acres of raisins are up and off to Sunmaid, and this afternoon it's off to shake the trees and vacuum up some walnuts. Now, all I need is some maple trees, a wheat field, a grist mill and a bakery and I can do some cookies.
    Grampa Ho
    Cheap Seats

Post  Grampa Ho Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Ya got the elf's already?
    Fast Petey
    Fast Petey
    Admin

Post  Fast Petey Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Have you seen me compared to my in-laws?

Epic balsa wood grandstand 17952_1165715714017_1561640471_30366826_3847742_n

Everyone is an elf to me.

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 am

We know who everyone looks up to now ! The BIG COOKIE ! Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:26 pm