International House of Pancake Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
International House of Pancake Racing

Welcome to the International House of Pancake Racing (IHOPR). Here you will find the best of the best when it comes to racing old school pancake armature slot cars. All the way from the vibrator cars of the early 1960's to the re-release of the Ultra-G

2 posters

JL arms

Grampa Ho
    Cheap Seats

JL arms Empty JL arms

Post  Grampa Ho Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:22 am

Is it my hard racing style that I find the JL arms are poorly plated?
    I have arms from the 70's that I still use today on a regular basis but I continue to have to change out JL arms because they are worn right through to the plastic base. Just my observation and wondering if others are seeing this problem
    Fast Petey
    Fast Petey
    Admin

JL arms Empty Re: JL arms

Post  Fast Petey Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 am

You're not alone. I had a ton of older Magna-Traction arms that still run extremely well and a nearly equal amount of newer XT arms that didn't. I've found that the same goes for newer mfg. Mean Greens compared to those I bought 20 years ago.
    Grampa Ho
    Cheap Seats

Post  Grampa Ho Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:13 pm

Maybe I have a larger aw arm but that does not seem to fit in the jl chassis either. I tried to put a mean green in but it rubs on the magnets. I did not want to ruin any more parts so have not tried it with another arm not jl. Any help on this?
    Fast Petey
    Fast Petey
    Admin

Post  Fast Petey Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:23 pm

You can shim the magnets away a few hundredth. What we use are flat toothpicks, get them nice and wet, shim it out a little further than where you want and when they dry out they will shrink a little. Another thing I use is sheet plastic, normally a single 0.010 shim works just fine. On a last chace sort of thing, try using NOS magnets in the JL chassis, see how that works.
    Grampa Ho
    Cheap Seats

Post  Grampa Ho Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:32 pm

sounds interesting and never thought to shim mags. Thanks Pete

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 9:05 pm